Producing Electricity from Potatoes (PROJECT)
A primary voltaic cell makes use of a dilute solution of sulphuric acid in which one plate each of copper and zinc is dipped. The electricity in this cell is produced due to the migration of electrons from the zinc plate to copper plate in the dilute sulphuric acid solution. In fact, dilute sulphuric acid provides the path for the movement of electrons. in a similar way, potatoes act like the solution of dilute sulphuric acid between the copper and zinc strips which are used for producing electricity from potatoes.
Fonts For Facebook Generate cool and stylish fancy fonts for your Facebook account and Facebook Fonts you can use in all social media platform Fonts For FB
- 8 medium-sized potatoes
- 8 strips of copper 5 cm x 1cm
- 8 strips of zinc 5 cm x 1cm
- Copper wire
- One 5 volt bulb with holder
|Producing Electricity from Potatoes|
What To Do
- Take 8 medium-sized potatoes and insert a strip of zinc on one end of each potato. Similarly, insert one copper strip on another end of each potato, as shown in the figure.
- Arrange these potatoes on a table in two rows, each containing four potatoes. Connect the zinc strip of one potato to the copper strip of the other with the copper wire as shown in the figure.
- Connect all zinc and copper stripes with the help of the copper wire.
- Now, take one wire connected to the zinc strip and one wire from the copper strip and connect these two with the 4.5 volt bulb. You will see that the bulb immediately glows because the whole assembly acts as a battery. The bulb will glow only for a limited time.
Other suggested projects
- You can make similar batteries by using lemons instead of potatoes. The entire method will remain the same.
- You can make batteries by taking the juices of orange, lemon and other citrus fruits in beakers and dipping in them the zinc and copper strips.